The history of Mechanical Engineering Training Programmes in Universiti Teknologi MARA began under the School of Engineering in 1968. The School introduced Diploma in Mechanical Engineering in 1972. In 1996, the School was restructured hence the establishment of Faculty of Mechanical Engineering.
With its excellent laboratory facilities, the Faculty has been a key player in providing quality engineering training to Bumiputra students. The Faculty has also introduced new programmes and provided the necessary practical skills in responding to the needs and developments of the country. Since its inception, the Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Hons) Programme has been fully accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Council, Malaysia. The Faculty’s Academic Programmes have been awarded ISO 9001:2008 Certification.
Presently, the Faculty offers diploma and degree programmes at the undergraduate level. The conferment of university status to UiTM in 1999 has prompted the Faculty to embark on research-based academic programmes. Subsequently MSc and PhD programmes were introduced in the same year.
The Faculty now offers a total of six programmes in three levels which are at diploma level (EM110), two degree programmes (EM220, EM221) and three postgraduate programmes (EM780, EM774, EM990). Beside the Shah Alam Campus, the diploma programme is only offered at the UiTM Penang Branch Campus. There are plans to extend the diploma programme to other UiTM Branch Campuses.
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering offers the following programmes :
1. Diploma in Mechanical Engineering [EM110]
2. Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) Mechanical [EM220]
3. Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering (Manufacturing) (Honours) [EM221]
4. Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering [EM780]
5. Masters in Engineering Management [EM774]
6. Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical Engineering [EM990]
- To provide education that enhances student intellectual to the highest level and continual human capital development.
- To provide a scholarly and professional environment that allow students and FKM staffs to contribute to knowledge development and engineering practices in an integrated manner.
- To provide services that generate community and industries success based on state-of-art technology.
The faculty prides itself on these factors:
- Academic staffs with various disciplines in Mechanical Engineering at Masters and PhD Levels.
- Good number of staffs having professional engineering qualifications.
- Good collaboration with industries and other institutions such as PROTON, MODENAS, DAIMLER CHRYSLER, THYSSENKRUPP, RMAF for research, consultation and student practical training.
- Excellent laboratories facilities and equipments.
- A balanced structured curriculum for the programmes offered and recognized by professional bodies and accreditation board locally and abroad.
Number of PhD. holders in FKM
To establish UiTM as a premier university of outstanding scholarship and academic excellence capable of providing leadership to Bumiputeras’ dynamic involvement in all professional fields of world-class standards in order to produce globally competitive graduates of sound ethical standing.
To enhance the knowledge and expertise of Bumiputeras in all fields of study through professional programmes, research work, and community service based on moral values and professional ethics.